Procurement Manager – Job Overview
• Senior Manager (Position) – Strong Manager
• Bulk Materials Handling Experience
• Strong on Procedures / Implementation
• Work Unsupervised / Comfortable with the position
• People’s Person – Excellent Staff Management Skills
• Strong Negotiation Skills – Prices, etc.
• Excellent Knowledge of the Industry / Market
• Develop and implement appropriate long and short term strategic and tactical initiatives in order to achieve specific buying, sourcing targets.
• Undertakes strategic supplier analysis, development of new suppliers and supplier relationship management.
• Negotiates and executes contracts with the suppliers as per requirement of quality, total cost, and delivery on a national and international basis.
• Works closely with potential suppliers to ensure effective support.
• Conducts regular research of possible commodities and searches for suppliers, partners, and future potential suppliers for the company and keeps up with market trends.
• Proactive and acts on initiative to maintain a supplier base and when necessary source alternative suppliers to ensure that the required material products remain in constant stock as required.
• Represents procurement in discussions and strategies aimed at improving overall integration of procurement.
• Researching and identifying new products and suppliers through attendance at professional body seminars and participation in hot topics discussions.
• Arranging forward cover and insurance for all imported consignments.
• Play a pivotal role in supplier negotiation to secure the best merchandise at the lowest possible purchase cost
• Negotiation and pricing of current and new products.
• Cost cutting through negotiation with suppliers.
• Negotiate terms and prices to ensure that the right amount of the product or service is received when it is needed.
• Negotiate competitive prices commensurate with the technical and service requirements, and the security required by the business.
• Investigate cost breakdowns and negotiate and / or assist vendor in dropping their price by assisting in reciprocal business.
• Participate in the development of specifications for equipment, products, or substitute materials to ensure the manufacturing of better quality products for the organization.
• Overseeing the technical and QA requirements on all items (materials, components, and parts) to ensure that purchased items meet design requirements.
• Liaise with Technical department when creating new products or in matters relating to product specification.
• Total Cost of Ownership Management.
• Mitigation of risk (Supplier risk and commodity risk).
• Clearing and forwarding of all imported commodities.
• Reviewing the technical specifications for accuracy and completeness.
• Ensuring relationships with existing suppliers are kept manageable and in the best interests of the business – be this through initiating commercial negotiations, implementing improvement programs and making certain quality, cost and delivery are guaranteed.
• Managing and developing a solid relationship with suppliers to reduce costs and improve quality including on-time deliveries.
• Demonstrate credibility to win the confidence and support of the top management, suppliers and partners.
• Develop knowledge of internal audience in terms of world class procurement standards.
Certified Procurement Manager
Certified European Senior Logistician
Certified European Master Logistician
Business Management Diploma
Advanced and Masters Programme in Supply Chain Management Certificate in Management Development
Purchasing Management Diploma
FCIPS; Fellow, Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply
Bulk Materials Handling Experience
Send a comprehensive CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Position open to South African citizens only